Top 12 Reads of 2015

The festive spirits are high. This is also that time of the year when bookworms like me look back at their year in books. I’ve read quite a few books this year, although I couldn’t complete my Goodreads reading challenge. 

Here are the top 12 books of 2015, in random order.
  • The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul – Deborah Rodriguez

I got this from one of my favorite bookstore – Full Circle Bookstore, Khan Market. The pastel hues of the cover got me hooked in the first look. (Yeah, I know don’t judge the book by its cover and all that). 

What a happy and positive read this was. I could visualize the dainty coffee shop and the faint whiff of coffee engulfed for me good. Some portions leave you heart wrenched but the overall feel is convivial.
Powerful and strong, it fills you with hope! Loved the characterization and the thread of love that ties them.
"Miracles only grow where you plant them". 

  • Eleanor and Park – Rainbow Rowell

2015 was dominated by a lot of YA reading and this was by far the best. In fact it has been the best love story I’ve read in recent times. Epic cute and whimsy, I wish my bae was Park. 
A happy spring read, super feel good vibes. I didn’t like the ending too much, but for my convenience (and to continue the romantic mood) I interpreted it the other way.

It was more of bromance rather than romance, and that’s what makes it so cool.

  • The Book Thief – Markus Zusak

This was long pending and highly recommended, and yes totally worth it.
Although it is dark and sad, but the rays of hope and positivity fill you with immense joy. Love the narration by death, and the detailing.
It is heartwarming to read how Lisel’s passion drives her. The complexities of relations are handled so well.

Waiting to watch the movie!

  • Because You’ll Never Meet Me – Leah Thomas

I was intrigued by the description. Thank God and Amazon for Kindle and ‘Try a sample’. Two pages and I was so sure that I have to read this. It is sooo good!
Two boys struggling with their grave illnesses. Two boys tied together with a thread of friendship. Two boys trying to find hope and happiness.
Ollie gets seizures whenever he’s near electricity and Moritz is born with no eyes and has a pacemaker. How both of them hold onto each other is very encouraging. Sad in parts, overall it is very merry. Love love love the cover illustration.
Restores your faith in friendship.

  • Twenties Girl – Sophie Kinsella

I can’t remember an instance when Sophie Kinsella disappointed. What Agatha Christie is to mystery, red lipstick is to life, Sophie Kinsella is to girlie hearts.
Twenties Girl is such a rad read. If you are sad and need a peppy gleeful book, then this is it. Easy breezy read and highly lovable!

  • Aarushi – Avirook Sen

I saw ‘Talvar’ and it haunted me no end, that’s when I knew I had to read Aarushi. It is such an amazing work of writing. What detailed analysis of the proceedings it has!
The mystery still surrounds. Also it is very interesting to read the intricacies of the crime branch and judiciary.
Read it and find out yourself what an epic book this is.

  • One Plus One – Jojo Moyes

I am a big Jojy Moyes fan. Love her way of writing and the upbeat vibes garnished with gaiety is always the highlight. Had high hopes from this one after I read ‘Me Before You’, and thankfully it was all good.
The triumph of Jess and the kids is amazing. Ed is a total charmer. The little sprinkling of idyll romance enhances the overall experience. Norman – the furry friend is my favorite (the crazy dog girl I am, this is not a surprise).
“Sometimes you just have to keep going.”

  • Landline – Rainbow Rowell

Rainbow Rowell deserves a double thumbs up. How can someone be so good, actually be so effortlessly good.
I could identify with the emotions and the mix of fairy tale. Don’t we all need fairy tales in life…
It is heartwarming and very romantic. The retro yellow phone is the hero. Blame yourself for high hopes in life after reading this. The happy ending is certainly the cherry on the cake.

“It’s the best thing to travel across the world to be in the arms of your special someone.”

  • The House that BJ Built – Anuja Chauhan

If you need some lessons on bitchy vibes on point, then this is what you should be reading. It is so good that I am happy to say that this is one of my special favorites of the year.
It’s a pleasant change from the sugar coated romance. Typical Anuja style – upfront and bold. Bonu’s boho vibes are strong and so were her guts. Loved it and highly recommending it.

“Poor is the new rich, Goody goody is the new bitch…”

  • Where She Went – Gayle Forman

This is the second book in a 2 book series. The first book, ‘I was Here’ is very emotional. The movie is also exceptional. Loved its narrative and freshness.
In the second part I loved the essence of vanquish and accomplishment. It’s essentially a love story and a happy read. Slightly more vivid and hopeful, it is a pedestal higher than its predecessor.

  • The Sky is Everywhere – Jandy Nelson

The tussle between ‘The Sky is Everywhere’ and ‘All the Bright Places’ was close and this one won by just a slight margin.

The oscillating feelings of love, helplessness and despair among the main characters are so relatable. Happy ending makes it all the more likeable.
“Not everyone you lose is a loss.”

  • The Geography of You and Me – Jennifer E. Smith

I’ve been a fan of Jennifer Smith ever since I read ‘The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight’. Apart from her writing style, I adore the names of her books. So happy and gooey they are. The writing style deserves kudos!
So if you are looking for some toe curling mush, you’ll find it all here. That feeling of getting stuck in a lift and sending postcards across the globe has an old world charm to it. It is like warm sunshine on a winter afternoon or a cupcake that always cheers you up…
“Sometimes a person keeps you anchored more than a place.”

Which were your favorite books this year? My ‘To-read’ list awaits your suggestions.

Have a happy, healthy and festive new year! 

Comments

Popular Posts